Knights of the Old Republic
From Unofficial TransGaming Wiki
|Installer||Original: Works, no known problems
New installer in Star Wars: The best of PC collection: needs workaround, see below
|Game||Works, with very minor issues|
|Patch||Works, no problems, but must be manually applied|
|Download demo||No demo known|
|Requires no-cd patch||No|
|Works with Cedega version(s)||5.2.10 (best), 5.0, 4.4.3, 4.3.2, 4.0.1, 4.0|
|Tested with Cedega version(s)||5.2.10, 5.0, 4.4.3, 4.3.2, 4.0.1, 4.0|
|Supported by TransGaming||Yes|
- Automated game updater does not work properly - the patch must be downloaded and applied manually (where applicable - the Best of PC version is pre-patched to 1.03).
- Some of the action sequences in the game run a bit slow.
- When using nVidia driver > 1.0-6629, upon entering Undercity on Taris, the graphics go crazy and sometimes the game even crashes (tested on FX 5600/5700). Seems fine on 1.0-9631.
- Encountered huge problems with the graphics on Dantooine when using NVIDIA 1.0-7664 and below. Resolved the problem by switching back to driver version 1.0-6629. Seems fine on 1.0-9631.
- Problems with Cedega and Linux kernels based on 2.6.9 may cause copy protection issues with this game. Symptoms may include an actual error message regarding a conflict with the CD-ROM emulator, or frequently simply appearing as if the game exits right after you start it (although there is still a wine process running until you click "stop" in Point2Play). Building a kernel on something at or later than 2.6.11 appears to fix this problem, which can affect other games as well.
- "Enable Hardware Mouse" might cause invisible mouse cursor with nVidia driver 1.0-9631 and a Geforce 7950.
- With current ATI binary drivers (8.40.4) there are huge performance issues in Dantooine. This problem is specifically addressed by ATI and is fixable by disabling vertex buffer objects from either Cedega or by adding "Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1" under [Graphics Option] in swkotor.ini. This appears to only affect gameplay while you are in Dantooine, should be safe to enable vertex buffer objects once you're done with the planet.
- In the same game folder you plan to install KOTOR from Best of PC in, install InstMsiA.exe and DCOM98 in Windows 98 mode. After both these are installed, the game will install just fine in Windows XP mode.
- The new launcher does not work, change the "Play" link from "LaunchKOTOR.exe" to "swkotor.exe"
Long before the Galactic Civil War, an epic drama begins. Engage in this saga set in the Golden Age of the Republic - over 4,000 years before the first Star Wars film, when both Jedi and Sith number in the thousands. With the Galaxy reeling from a recent conflict with the Dark Lords, the ongoing battle between the Jedi and the Sith rages on. Your actions determine the outcome of this colossal galactic war - and your destiny as a Jedi.