No One Lives Forever
From Unofficial TransGaming Wiki
|Installer||Some issues (CD mounting, finishing), see below - GOTY edition will not install at all|
|Game||Works (after disabling animated loading screens), with some issues|
|Patch||1.003 & 1.004 installed with quirks (see below)|
|Requires no-cd patch||No|
|Works with Cedega version(s)||4.2 (best), 4.0.1|
|Tested with Cedega version(s)||4.2, 4.0.1|
|Supported by TransGaming||No|
|URLs||NOLF page from Monolith Productions
- ALT + TAB from the installer to the desktop may be problematic for some users
- In some cases, at the end of the game & the v1.003 patch installer, a "Installation done" dialog is shown with a 100% bar, but only a nonfunctional
killall wineto end installation/patch process. (The v1.004 patcher works flawless)
- The game installer copies about 2% and then asks for the second CD. Since the second CD is a dual-mode CD (with a data track and some audio tracks), it might prove to be difficult to get the right part mounted. See below.
- The GOTY edition of NOLF will not install at all - the install process dies almost immediately with an error dialog reading "Unhandled Exception Error Number: 0x80040707 Description: Dll functional call crashed: ISRT.AddIcon"
- As originally installed, the game will lock up when it starts to load a game level. This is caused by the code that plays animation on the "loading" screen, which runs with an odd thread mechanism that Cedega cannot deal with. To fix this, in the game laucher, disable "animated loading screens" under the options in the 'advanced settings' menu.
- The game is very slow in any resolution but 640x480
- Changing the resolution of the game using the in-game options panel will cause the game to crash, and crashes may also occur when changing other settings. Use the launcher screen to select the screen resolution.
- Picking up a espionage item in game will cause the view to jump up at an odd direction - annoying, but not a problem if you know it's coming.
- The game will occasional "lose" one or both of the mouse axes - to get it back, hit ESC to go to the menu, then again to return to the game.
- Demo installation works fine.
- "animated loading screens" must be disabled in order to get to the opening logos.
- Demo crashes imediately after opening logos finish playing. None of the advanced options seem to help.
It is important to mount the second CD's data track (and not the audio track) during installation. For instance, on my system the audio part is mounted per default:
linux:~ # mount /dev/hdc2 on / type reiserfs (rw,acl,user_xattr) proc on /proc type proc (rw) tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw) devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,mode=0620,gid=5) /dev/hda on /media/cdrecorder type subfs (ro,nosuid,nodev,fs=cdfss,procuid,iocharset=utf8)
Note the last line. When listing the contents of /dev/hda I got only some garbled entries. The solution is to unmount the CD, then manually mount it again and then point
the installer to the new mount point (in this example
cdrom in your home directory):
linux:~ # umount /media/cdrecorder linux:~ # mkdir cdrom linux:~ # mount /dev/hda cdrom
It is also possible to copy both CDs to the harddisk and then use the directories when installing the game, although the mount problem with the second CD are still to overcome. The advantage of copying the CDs first is that you need not to ALT + TAB from the installer to the desktop.