Command and Conquer: Generals
From Unofficial TransGaming Wiki
|Installer||Works, no known problems|
|Game||Works, issues described below|
|Patch||Works, no known problems|
|Download patch||Mirrorlist (eagames.com)|
|Demo works||Works, see installation info below|
|Download demo||Mirrorlist (eagames.com)|
|Requires no-cd patch||No|
|Works with Cedega version(s)||6.0 (best)5.1, 5.0.3, 4.0.1, 4.0|
|Tested with Cedega version(s)||6.0, 5.1, 5.0.3, 4.0.1, 4.0|
|Supported by TransGaming||Yes|
|URLs||C&C Generals --Official website|
- CD change may not work -> copy the content of both cds in the same directory on your hard disk. While copying content of disk 2 your are asked for file override, click on "skip". After you have copied both cds, run setup.exe through cedega. Now the installation will work and will be much faster than by cd.
- Mouse position is incorrectly represented
This can occur from time to time, exact cause is unknown but it can be fixed by running Generals in a window You can run Generals in a window by passing -win as a command line parameter or by using the Desktop option in Point2Play. This may be fixed in 5.0.3.
Restarting generals may also fix the problem. This is a form of Input Focus issue.
- Internal patcher does not work; patches need to be downloaded manually.
- Videos are extremely choppy
Intro movies can be skipped by passing -quickstart as a command-line parameter. There is no solution for mission briefings. See Choppy Videos for more information.
- Online play does not work for this title.
Demo installation guide
To install the demo version, you have to unzip the generals_demo.exe manually.
You can now install the demo in Point2Play using the extracted Setup.exe.
Performance tweaking for ATI cards
To get C&C Generals working at a decent speed, you need to set the following Options in Cedega:
- On the General tab:
Check Use XRandR
Set Scheduler to No and then check Decrease WineServer priority
Fill the box Command Line Options with "-quickstart" to skip the Choppy Videos
- On the Audio tab:
Set Sound to OSS if Alsa doesn't work for you. I didn't notice any speed differences between the two sound systems.
- Now the interesting part, the Graphics tab:
Set the Video RAM to the amount your graphics card has and the AGP vertex data to the half amount.
Set PixelShaders to enabled and the shader version to 1.3
Enable VertexShaders too
Disable NV_VAR and ARB_VBO
The game should run at a decent speed now on your ATI card. You might experience the inverted fog of war bug, but I don't have a solution for it yet. It seems much likely to be a ATI driver bug.