Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
From Unofficial TransGaming Wiki
|Installer||Works, but is slow|
|Game||Works, with some problems|
|Patch||Works, no problems|
|Download patch||US version, International versions, High Quality Movies and Music patches|
|Demo works||No Demo|
|Requires no-cd patch||No (Yes, on UK v1.01b)|
|Multiplayer works||No Multiplayer|
|Works with Cedega version(s)||5.2.10, 5.0 (best), 4.4.x, 4.3.x|
|Tested with Cedega version(s)||5.2.10, 5.0, 4.4.3, 4.3, 4.2.1|
|Supported by TransGaming||Yes|
- The installer will only work under --winver WinME and when started from the directory, in which the install files reside. An error (IIRC) will result if installed under WinXP. (No longer issue with Cedega 5.0)
- The Installation takes very long to complete, especially CD 4. There seems to be a minimum amount of time required to extract a file of any size from the CDs. While this is not noticeable on large files (which are on the first through third CD), the fourth CD contains almost 20,000 (that's twenty-thousand) small files, mostly voice samples.
For a rough idea of how long the process will be: The installation took about three hours total, on a P4 2.2 Ghz, 1024 MB RAM, with a RAID-1 setup - all four installation media had been copied to the disk before starting the setup utility, so this does not take slow CD-ROM drives into account.
35 minutes on a beefy 2007 pc, having copied the install files to the hard drive.
- Smoke effects are slow, as they were with the original Knights Of The Old Republic. Whenever there is smoke on the screen, the game slows down considerably - this can be irritating, since the game's main menu features a character model surrounded by smoke.
- Hardware cursor support does not work, use Software cursor or it will not show.
- The mouse cursor lags occasionally, dragging a bit behind the movement.
- The "tip" of the mouse cursor is in the wrong place and seems to change sometimes. To click something in the game, it is sometimes necessary to click next to an item, instead of clicking on it.
- The game has focus problems, for example when switching virtual desktops or when "focus on mouseover" behavior is active. This can cause the loss of keyboard, and sometimes mouse focus. Of course, this happens only when leaving the game window.
- The above focus problem also seems to be a factor in the movie-related crashes. If focus was lost and only partially restored, the game will crash when it tries to set the screen resolution for the movie.
- Last but not least, dialogues sometimes go by faster then they should. This only happens rarely though and seemingly at random. Lost clue can easily be recovered by reading the message log (press 'J', click 'Message Log').
- May have sound issues in cutscenes. Use "Decrease wineserver priority" to fix it.
- The game has made it into the March 2005 polls.
- Theres a related forum posting at http://transgaming.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=11853
- Focus problems can be worked around by starting the game in a separate Xsession. To do that, a quick way on Debian (and most likely, many other distros) is to create a file called .xinitrc in your homedirectory, with only the line "xterm" in it. After that, run "startx -- :1" from outside X. Once the xterm comes up, type in "Point2Play" or launch the game as you usually do.
- The mouse cursor at the wrong place and the dialogues which run too fast are the same with a Windows installation, so it seems these are not Cedega problems - the game seems to be quite buggy in general.
- The "Disable Vertex Buffer Objects" option may help, though there has been no confirmation of this having any impact in Cedega yet. See http://support.lucasarts.com/tsg/SWKotORIIQuestions/Video%20Issues/LastChanceGraphicsFix.htm for details.
- Many mods for this game are installed via TSLPatcher. This has issues in cedega.
- Workaround 1: install richupd.exe (Richedit 3.0 update) in win98 mode, to get a less buggy richedit control - you actually can read the readmes now.
- Workaround 2: The "install mod" button is invisible, sometimes. Press enter to go ahead anyway.