Serious Sam: The Second Encounter
From Unofficial TransGaming Wiki
|Installer||Works, no problems|
|Game||Works, but crashes in intro|
|Patch||Works, no problem|
|Download patch||SeriousZone -- Only official, non-working v1.07
3DGamers -- v1.50Beta patch
|Demo works||No (same issues as version v1.0x of game regarding 3D acceleration)|
|Requires no-cd patch||No|
|Works with Cedega version(s)||4.0.1 (best)|
|Tested with Cedega version(s)||v4.0.1 (Point2Play v1.3.2)|
|Supported by TransGaming||No|
There is a beta native Linux client available here.
- The official versions (v1.05, v1.07) of the game do detect OpenGL etc, but then think that 3D acceleration is not available and exit. They leave in
Trying recovery mode 0... Starting display mode: 640x480xdesktop (fullscreen) CDS: mode reset to original desktop settings CDS: mode set to 640x480x0 Pixel Format Description: Number: 1 (TYPE_RGBA) Flags: DRAW_TO_WINDOW SUPPORT_OPENGL GENERIC_ACCELERATED DOUBLEBUFFER Color bits: 16 (5:6:5:0) Depth bits: 24 (8 for stencil) * OpenGL context created: *---------------------------------- (NVIDIA Corporation, GeForce FX 5900XT/AGP/SSE/3DNOW!, 1.4.1 NVIDIA 53.36) All textures reloaded. This mode does not support hardware acceleration.
- The unofficial Beta patch v1.50 works much better, it also detects Direct3D HAL and uses it, as the
Trying recovery mode 3... Starting display mode: 640x480xdesktop (fullscreen) * Direct3D context created: *---------------------------------- (MS DirectX 8, Direct3D HAL, 0.10.0.11360) All textures reloaded. All meshes reloaded. Automatic 3D-board preferences adjustment... Detected: MS DirectX 8 - Direct3D HAL - 0.10.0.11360 Matching: * (unrecognized 3D accelerator) Different than last, applying new preferences. Mode: normal
- The v1.50 crashes half-way through the intro. Press SPACE as soon as the Crotech logo appears to prevent that.
- In addition, v1.50 can no longer play the demos from v1.0x. To prevent it from choking on the old versions, you could move the
auto-demo*files from the
Demodirectory but that only made the intro loop and then crash for me. With the demos in place, the log will show you:
Cannot play demo: Chunk ID validation failed. Expected ID "DFNM" but found "MVER" (Demos\auto-demo0001.dem)
- Tels 21:05, 9 Oct 2004 (CEST) While I got the menu to appear and working after several tries, the game crashed upon changing resolutions when I tried to click
Keep this settingdialog.
However, the game contains so many improvements, new weapons, movies, monsters and all new levels, that it's justified to call it a stand-alone product rather than an add-on.
Serious Sam 2 has been released in October 2005.